|Project by rockmolsen||posted 10-02-2014 12:34 AM||1081 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I purchased 2 black walnut bowl blanks, I had the first one about 75% done, had a catch and snapped the tenon right at the chuck. It flew off and hit in me in my shield so I was glad I had it on! The second one came out close to perfect, probably my best bowl to date. Its about 9” x 3”. I used a combination of walnut oil and bees wax for the finish. I tried a new finishing technique that I heard about recently. I cut a 2” round green scrubby and it attached to a 2 ” hook and loop flexible sanding pad on an electric drill, I ran this over all the surface with the bowl spinning on the lathe at about 1000 rpm. I sanded prior to that to 320 grit. I like this better than some of the friction finishes I’ve used previously. A nice piece of Walnut has so much character !
-- Rick --------The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.