|Project by ChefHDAN||posted 10-01-2014 12:19 AM||884 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I was asked to make a frame for a painting and I said yes before I was smart enough to ask how big. The painting, by Orlando Lagman, is 4’x5’ and the frame is 6”wide. Major challenge was working around it once I figured out how to prop it up across the TS and two stands, and several times during the project I had to holler for one of the kids or my wife to come with extra hands so I could nail a joint or get a clamp in place. The finish was a bit of a challenge, sanded, primed, sprayed a deep red (forgot to take photo), sprayed antique gold and then stained with GF Black Cherry water based stain. The stain came off unevenly and I hated the look, and started to try and wipe it out with mineral spirit and a rag. It evened of the coloring of the stain but started to remove some of the gold and red, slightly distressing it. I FREAKED, and was ready to start over but my wife said she liked the effect, but I wasn’t sure, so I made her have the priest come and look at it, he loved it too so I went ahead and coated the frame with two coats of satin water based poly which once dried it totally changed the way it looked to me and now I like the finish too, kind of a happy accident.
-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it