|Project by barringerfurniture||posted 09-30-2014 10:28 PM||3595 views||30 times favorited||12 comments|
Hi everyone. I’ve been working on this frame and panel bed for myself, bit by bit between other jobs. Finally brought it home yesterday.
This is solid Cherry throughout, with 3/4” thick reclaimed Mahogany panels that came from some door jambs I rescued during a remodel a couple of years ago. That house was built in the early 1930’s. There are a few nail holes and hardware impressions left that give it a bit of character. The applied molding is Black Walnut. Finish is several coats of Danish Oil. I’ll wax it once it cures for a few days.
Each of the legs are built up from two pieces of 6/4 stock, laminated together and milled with the coved taper on two sides at the base. They’re joined to the headboard and footboard with 1/2” X 1/2” tongue and grooves. The rest is typical frame and panel construction, with 2” pinned mortise/tenons securing the center stile.
It’s a platform bed, with pine slats and currently supports my futon mattress but was built for a standard queen.
Made a few boo-boos and learned a few lessons on this one; I first tried building the legs from two pieces, bevel cut so that the seem would end up on the corners and theoretically not be seen. That didn’t work out so good for me, so I did it this way instead. Much simpler and came out clean.
Also, this is only my second frame and panel job and the first time I’ve used applied molding. I’m a little unhappy that I slightly eased the corners of the molding instead of leaving them crisp and sharp. The idea was that I didn’t want any sharp corners where I might lay my head. I should have left it alone though – that’s what pillows are for.
Thanks for looking!
-- Scott Barringer, Sacramento, CA barringerfinefurniture.com