|Project by robscastle||posted 09-30-2014 07:01 AM||1183 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This little box was todays effort in the woodworking field.
Its more of the “Rubbish” Jarrah I brought home from a job.
The material was resawn and thicknessed, and then sized to match.
Cut everything on the table saw.
I then used the Gifkins Dovetail Jig to do the joints.
Not as good as I could normally do, I think the material moved slightly on one joint and I did not notice.
But they are reasonable for home application
Matched everything up and assembled it using Titebond III.
Applied the clamping bands, and let it dry.
Rounded the edges on the router and then sanded it overall working up to 320 Grit.
Set up the polishing wheel and gave it a overall polish using white compound and a stitched cloth wheel.
Dampened the timber to raise the grain and repolished, the end result is as you see it.
Wow thanks for all the great comments!
It has impressed me to see if I may be able to be to improve on the finish.
So I used my scraper on it then steel wool, it didnt seem to be too much different.
So I decided to try and sand it to 600 then 800 Grit
All both these attempts appeared to do was clog the wet & Dry
There did not seem to be much difference with the surface finish in the raw form.
I blew out all the dust with compressed air and repolished it all over again.
It returned the sheen and did seem easier to polish and I think there was a slight improvement.
Its a it hard to tell by just taking pictures.
I am happy with the result.
-- Regards Robert