|Project by B4B||posted 09-28-2014 07:37 PM||1078 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I got the plans for this online quite some time ago (+/- 4 years) and intended to build this for my wife’s growing shot glass collection. (I can post a link if that’s permitted. I think the plans cost +/- $8) and the guy has a good guide for building it.
I actually started this project about 6 weeks ago when my wife was out of time. I got mostly assembled and promptly forgot about it (ok, well didn’t forget, just shelved it so to speak). I built this with the intent of giving it to her as a birthday present (which is 9/29, tomorrow).
It took be a solid 20 hours to get the pieces cut and assembled (an entire weekend), and another 4-6 hours of finishing for the stain and poly.
I made it using poplar since this was going to be my first attempt at something like this and didn’t want to spend the extra $$ making it out of oak (my only other choice as I’m without a thickness planer or bandsaw).
OMG, the dadoes, this project has dadoes galore. I didn’t have a router, so I had to use my TS dado blade. It did a decent job, but doing this on the TS was somewhat unwieldy. A router and a router table would have been a little easier to manage.
The stain went on pretty easily, I used a cloth to wipe it on (after assembling it). The polyurethane on the other hand was a decision making process. I could have gone with a wipe on poly, a spray on poly, or try to get a brush into each of the compartments. I decided to go with a spray on poly for this project. It seemed to be the easiest application method. Had I done many light coats it would have come out better. I knew better.
This is definitely a project where a thickness planer would come in handy, the shelves are 1/4” stock, and the outer frame is 1/2”.
1) Need a good router for dadoes on something like this. The TS worked out ok.
2) Allow more time and lighter coats for spray on poly.
3) Stain everything ahead of time, it would have made this go a little easier. I am hesitant to apply polyurethane and then put the pieces though the saw as it could dull the blades faster. I suppose I could have dry fit everything, and then applied the poly, and then assembled it.
4) I really could have used a thickness planer, I could have bought regular 1x and planed it down and spent less than I paid for the 1/2” and 1/4” pre-milled stock. Or if I have a planer, and a bandsaw I could have milled my own stock. (Which reminds me, I still have to post pics of my “shop”.
5) I now need to make a 2nd one of these for the rest of my wife’s standard size shot glass collection.
6) I now need to make a 3rd one of these with some oversize spaces for my wife’s over-sized shot glass collection.
7) A french cleat would be perfect to hang this with.
Overall it was a learning experience, and I think it turned out really well.
-- There's two routers in my vocab, one that moves data and one that removes wood, the latter being more relevant on this forum.