|Project by NaptownWood||posted 09-26-2014 11:54 PM||892 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
First one of these that I have tried. Challenging with some punky wood, and the size. This maxed out my jet 1221vs several times over. Lots of wobble due to the weight. Probably a good 25 pound blank before hogged out.
A buddy cut down a dead standing tree and sent me a pic because the grain was odd. I drove the hour and picked up as much as i could as soon as i could. Huge pieces. Had to give a round to a guy with a 1642 just so i could see how it should turn out. This one is 11 across and probably 9 or 10 tall. Termites and spalting equal a very unique piece. Fun to see come into being.
Oh anf since it was dead for years, it measured 15 to 17 percent moisture, which negated my need to dry out for months. Done in 4 days.
Used coping saw and dremel to work on punky center spots, danish oil and a coat of spray laquer. Will probably do a few more to try to hide the spots where wobbly tool marks left a spot under lip and inside bottom turn.
Thanks for looking
-- Witty signature line still pending