|Project by JoeMcGlynn||posted 09-25-2014 12:53 PM||3501 views||22 times favorited||16 comments|
This past weekend I finished a project I’ve been fiddling with for the past two months or so. I only get a few hours each weekend to work in the shop, and I started and finished another project in the middle of this one, so it felt like it took eons to get completed. The complete blow-by-blow details are on my blog.
The backstory on this cabinet is that it’s inspired by the wall cabinet in the Thorsen house in Berkley, Ca, the last of the Greene & Greene “ultimate bungalows”. The original cabinet is a spectacular piece, with really elegant details and several subtle surprises—like the fact that it’s recessed into the wall so that it is much deeper than it appears from the protrusion into the room. Dale Barnard designed this adaptation, which is essentially a simplified version of 1/3 of the original cabinet shown below.
I wanted to make a few small changes to Dale’s design, and also was having trouble picturing some of the construction details. To help with this I modeled the cabinet in SolidWorks, then generated my own plans with all of the details for the joinery. I end up doing this for a lot of my projects, it really helps me in the shop when I can focus on making parts and not worrying about figuring our how the parts are going to relate to each other.
The construction was pretty straightforward, with the door being the exception for me. I was really concerned about getting all of the muntins and mullions (whatever those are) fit properly. In the end it was pretty straightforward.
Once the wood construction was completed, the door hung and all of the hardware fitted it was time for finishing. I recently made a version of the Thorsen side table (AKA plant stand), also out of sapele, so I used the same finishing recipe: TransTint Reddish0Brown dye, Linseed Oil, Garnet Shellac and a rub out with 0000 steel wool and black wax.
The last detail was to make the sailed glass panel for the door. I tried a different approach, and built a copper frame to fit the rebate in the door first, and then drew up my patterns and cut the glass to fit. The glass panels were made using Armstrong iridized art glass, assembled with copper folk and solder.
I’m really happy with the end result, and looking forward to starting my next G&G piece which will be based on the Blacker house serving table. I have to spend some time figuring out how to do the inlay as that will be new ground for me.