|Project by Muzhik||posted 09-24-2014 11:42 PM||1054 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
After a 2-year hiatus while I lived overseas, I’m finally reunited with my tools. One of the first real woodworking projects on SWMBO’s list was a shelf for all of her cookbooks. She told me she wanted one “like all those diagonal shelves” and left me free do do my thing for the rest. Here is what I came up with.
It’s made of black cherry with ebony accents – in the form of plugs to cover screws on all of the individual shelves, pegs for the drawbored mortise and tennon joints where the uprights meet the base and wedges for the through tenon I put in the base to prevent racking.
Since this was a “smaller” project, I decided to use it as my first experiment with spraying real lacquer (as opposed to the water-based lacquer I used on the tops of my dresser and nightstands). I don’t think I’ll ever go back. The water-based (more accurately, waterborne) lacquer apparently wasn’t cured enough by the time my furniture went into storage, and I now have moving blanket fibers embedded in it :(