|Project by Patricelejeune||posted 09-23-2014 01:03 AM||2349 views||7 times favorited||16 comments|
I thought I will do a post about this dining room table we made and finally delivered.
It has been quite a fun project and at the same time full of challenges that I did not expect.
We started with a simple drawing for the client and has they were happy with it we were able to go forward right away
The base we decided to make out of beech at the bottom to had a maximum weight to avoid tipping over.
And the top “capital” was made out of poplar and the apron out of pine to try to keep it light weight on the top, again to avoid tipping over.
The base and the top have sun burst “parquetry”
Shaping the base
Toothing the wood before veneering
Patrick is pretty good at veneering collumns and so it was the easiest way to do it, using maple turned column as a substrate
We did a video afterwards on a restoration project so if you are interested in veneering column have a look at it
Here is what we got on that project. The paper is to hold the fiber of the veneer better and it is held down with hot hide glue, so it cleans up with cold water. The veneer is glued down on the column with Old Brown Glue.
For the top we decided on lumber core as it is a modern table and we were looking for flat and light. I added some mahogany trim so there would be solid wood for the pins between the leaf.
The top was veneer with Old Brown Glue in our manual press
Then the top was cut round
We had a special plate made to bolt the base to the top as we wanted to be able to go through doors easily and help a bit the finisher for the spraying.
And glued a wooden plate on top of it
Then we glued it to the top with liquid hide glue
We had some black cherry moulding that we steam bended into place and once dry secured with OBG
On the columns we had grove cut in the column that I carefully measured to be able to cut the veneer afterwards without goofing off
In those groove we inserted rings turned out of cherry and dyed black. We used a marquetry technique which is break the piece and glue it back together, the fibers will align perfectly and you will see nothing.
One of the reason I love hide glue is if I mess up, in this case the molding was not all the way in, a bit of moisture some heat applied and it’s back were it belongs
Then I adjusted the Antique rails we had waiting for a project like this one in our “graveyard”.
Bolted the all thing together
Everything work, we breath better, no tipping over at all, slides nicely, and the leaves fit.
We sent it to a finisher as we do not do spray varnish.
And finally delivered it only 2 months after due date.
We learned a lot on that project, especially about steam bending and we have to thank Russ Filbeck for that.
If you want to know more details about that project I did post blogs during the making and I believe there is more details.
Thank you for reading.
-- Patrice lejeune