|Project by chrisworker||posted 09-23-2014 12:41 AM||956 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This fireplace was actually the last part of a lengthy side job renovation that I was doing for a good friend. The last picture shows how claustrophobic the home was and after (2) thirty yard dumpsters of removal to open up the area it was decided that a gas fireplace insert would fit great between the two windows that I put in.
I have never done one before, so the height of the oak top was determined by the local code / manual. I constructed the base out of 2×4’s screwed together. I chose 3” screws over nails because I believe they would make the frame more ridged. The case is made from all maple plywood that was put together with a combination of pocket screws and nails. The top is made of (4) oak panels that I jointed and pocket screwed together. I decided to rip some 3/4” oak strips and use them to wrap around the oak boards. I did this so that you won’t see the end grain of the oak boards. The doors and all stile and rails were made out of poplar. The panel is 1/4” plywood. The door mechanism was bought from Rockler. I have never used this type of hardware before and it was relatively easy to use, but a little pricey. The cost was about $260.00 just for the hardware. My only complaint about the hardware is that the left door when opened and pushed in to watch tv rests on the oak. I tried to fix it, but so far no luck. The unit was painted by the homeowner. The oak was finished with Minwax satin floor finish to match the floor.
-- Chris Bethlehem, PA