|Project by Shawn Herrington||posted 09-20-2014 04:01 AM||758 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
I turned this bowl from the same hunk of walnut from which I created this project. I thought I had turned through all of the cracks in the blank until the bowl was nearly finished. Only then did I notice the (totally intentionally and therefore artistic) crack in the rim of the bowl (visible in the first picture). The knot (visible in the second picture) and the sapwood are both actually visually interesting unlike the frustrating crack.
The finish is boiled linseed oil and just enough spray lacquer to make the surface shiny.
I made several projects on the lathe in the past couple of weeks simply for my own enrichment and while this is one of them, it is also one of the nicest things I have made. It also gave me just enough confidence in my limited turning skills that I would nearly ruin the next couple things I tried to make.