|Project by jaysuzi||posted 09-19-2014 11:30 PM||5253 views||20 times favorited||9 comments|
This past weekend I decided to do some much needed table saw enhancements. All the projects were done with scraps I had around the shop.
I already had a table saw sled, but was not quite happy with it.
1. the runners had a small bit of play in them – the new ones are perfect. nice snug – but not too snug
2. the old fence was made from some pre-milled oak – but it wasn’t as flat as it should have been – the new one is made from MDF and seems to be as straight as my straight edge. I used the old front fence to be the back fence on my new sled.
3. the old one was made from a 2 ft wide sheet of mdf, so with the front and back fence, I could only cut about a 20 inch wide panel. I wanted to be able to cut a full 2 ft panel – which I can on the new one
4. The old one wasn’t bad on the 5 cut test, but this one is just about dead on
5. The old one had 1 inch and 1/2 in markings. I did the same on this one. This is very handy for those projects that don’t need to be dead on accurate.
After making that, I had some left over runners, so I made a miter sled – following Steve Ramsey’s video.
I then made a spline cutting jig. I have a project coming up where I need to put some splines in, so this will come in handy. – the markings on this are just because it is made from scraps from my old table saw sled.
Finally, I made a new zero clearance insert. I was not happy with the fit of my old one and had actually gone back to the manufactures insert. I am much happier with this one.
-- Jay in Pennsylvania, http://hobby4charity.org/