|Project by drewpy||posted 09-18-2014 03:35 PM||1392 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
Hi Everyone –The inspiration for this box started when I was at Menards getting furnace filters. While roaming around I decided to get a single 1” thick oak board to mess with. When I got home, I decided to use mostly techniques I have never used before or haven’t used in a long time.
Since the board was thick for a box, I decided to try and bevel the sides. I made the frame and cut larger ¼” splines because it felt fitting with the walls thickness. I had never beveled like this before and had no idea how to measure with the blade angled at 15 degrees. I just eyeballed it, made several passes until the desired look was achieved. I believe this is Quarter Sawn Oak but didn’t realize this until I cut into it and beveled it. The eyes were popping on half the board and I decided to make the open eyed (for lack of a better term) on the bottom (pic3).
I made a mitered frame for a lift lid. A lift lid design was new for me so I decided, what the heck, let’s bevel the top and underneath. The overall size came out OK but my bottom cuts came up long and it wouldn’t fit into the base. I decided to just sharpen the chisels and work the lip down until it fit in. It ended up very thin but will hold up (pic4). I wish I had a small rabbet plane!!
I picked Wenge for the lid center and put some feet on it. The pull and splines are Bloodwood.
For the finish I also messed around. I decided to try to keep the Oak as light as possible and learned about water based poly. I kinda like how it didn’t amber the wood but I don’t see myself using it very much in the future. Who knows. For the Wenge, I did some samples and came up with starting with water and ending with oil. This helped keep the lighter streaks within the Wenge standing out but then the oil gave it a very slight amber at the end. I will try to get a good picture of my sample board and post the different finishes. Remember, this is an experiment box!!! I allowed plenty for drying time, sanded properly and everything looks good.
There are a few blade marks from beveling (pic2) but other than it turned out pretty good for a “mess around” box. It measures 9×4 ½ x 4 ¼ and I think it kinda ended up with a somewhat modern theme.
That’s it for now – Take care everyone!
-- Drew in Ohio -- "The greatest wealth is health".