|Project by ChefHDAN||posted 09-18-2014 01:53 AM||1123 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I was asked by the seminarian at our church if I could make some candle stands to go alongside the tabernacle at church for a pair of newly acquired candles which were just being put onto some unused palnt stands. He showed me a photocopy of a very simple box stand with a 12” base and top, but, Ive been looking at the pieces on the altar for years and most everything has a gothic arch in it in one way or another. I dreamed up this design and must have been a bit out of my mind because it was a hell of a lot easier to draw in sketchup than it was to build. Its all SLR red oak that my sawyer gave me a great deal on. Started with a basic box column which I cut almost in half, and then disassembled and stacked the top 4 pieces with 2x stick tape so I could BS the arch out. Glue up was a royal PITA, vluable lesson learned about lock mitre joints, set up so you only need to clamp two sides. Once the tops and bottoms were glued up I added a little cube into the base center to give me glue and fastener surface to join the two pieces. The arch cut outs were resawn and planed down to create the belly wrap trim and the applied arch detail at the base. As always, there are a few bumps in the project either in concept or execution and I can alweays find help from the caring and sharing members here! Thanks for looking!
New pic added with them on the altar!
-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it