|Project by JBsWorkshop||posted 09-14-2014 05:39 AM||1563 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
I’m a long time Lumberjocks “gawker” and I thought it might be finally time to share my work with ya’ll. Mainly, I figured you may get some ideas from me and/or learn from my mistakes. I have quite a few posts to catch up with, but I thought I would start with my very first project….the one that gave me the woodworking bug!
The table was made with regular store-bought 2×10 pine. The legs are treated 4×4s due to the fact that untreated is hard to find around here.
I assembled the table in a few hours with my Kreg pocket hole jig then spent the rest of the day sanding. Then I spent the next two weeks obsessing over the finish. Wow. Finishing is truly the hardest part of any project.
The stain is “special walnut” and the coat is a brush-on poly. I had no clue what I was doing and probably coated/stripped away/coated about 1 gallon of poly. I “stressed” the table with a chain to make it look older.
I was completely floored by my final product. That is, until I took it to my back porch while it was under construction. The workers moved the table to the yard and covered it with a tarp. The last picture shows how the moisture caused the joints to separate. I took some sandpaper to the sharp edges of the wood filler and made it at least smooth to the touch.
Like I said, I learned a lot from this project. Thanks for reading.
-- Jason Barlow, http://www.jbsworkshop.weebly.com