|Project by dozer57||posted 09-07-2014 12:18 AM||67394 views||51 times favorited||23 comments|
I am very happy how my budget bench turned out. Base is 5 layers of 3/4” oak ply wood glued up with m&t joints. Trimmed out will black walnut finished with several coats of sanding sealer and 3 coats of lacquer. top is red oak pieces laminated to 3 in thick and 12” wide. I then jointed one edge and planed to thickness, this was a workout for my Dewalt planer. wrapped each section with 3/4” walnut and then with a layer of oak. The tail vice was a bit of a challenge to lay out. I made the jaws so they could be easy to replace. Then I turned the crank from a left over piece of the top. Screw is 3/4 threaded rod with nuts imbedded in pieces. I will be building a Moxon vice for my bench as soon as I can figure out a good plan at my price. “cheap” lol after sanding I have put on 4 coats of danish oil and have a couple more to go. only made one BIG screw up that I know of. drilled the holes for bench dogs, making sure the were straight and space at 3” exact. double checked all was a go so I drilled them all. Man I felt good the looked great. Then I grabbed a bench dog, I had double checked everything but the bit size. 7/8 not 3/4. new bench dogs are next, 7/8 in ones. Thanks for looking. and yes I have less than $200 in this build.