|Project by JoeMcGlynn||posted 09-06-2014 05:21 PM||1152 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I just refinished a project I made a long time ago that I called “the Spider table”. Back in the early 90’s I was briefly active in woodworking and designed and built this table, which then served yeoman duty in my living room until recently. It had gotten dinged up from the vacuum cleaner, and the top as badly bleached and warped from the sun, and had actually come loose. In addition to the completed pictures, I added a couple of “before” shots showing the cupping in the top and the state of the finish on the top. It was pretty bad.
The table is made from Quilted Western Maple on the top, Tiger Maple for the legs and Birdseye Maple on the skirts. The cock bead is bloodwood.
I stripped the top, worked out some of the cupping, and refinished it with a base coat of linseed oil and a top coat of clear shellac tinted about 25% with garnet shellac. It’s back in use now and should be good for another 15 or 20 years.