|Project by Elizabeth||posted 09-03-2014 11:29 PM||1789 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
Over a year ago I posted a bandsaw box project in which I said it was the first of a set of four bandsaw boxes that I did at the same time, assembly-line style. I finally finished the last two yesterday.
My problem was handles. I didn’t know of a way to make them look good made out of wood, and I didn’t know where to go to get small handle hardware. On the first one I made a fingerhole cutout using my oscillating spindle sander, and it worked, so I did that with the other three as well.
They are all made from Western Red Cedar, and I think the starting block for each was 4×4×6 inches. The outer shape was spur-of-the-moment freehand. The inside is lined with adhesive felt.
The two with blue felt linings are going to be gifts for the midwife and assistant midwife who delivered my second son. The assistant was also there for my first son’s birth a few years ago. I have an appointment with them tomorrow so I had a deadline for finishing these!
The one with green lining is mine, I liked its shape best. I finished it a long time ago (10 months?) but never got pictures of it till now.
Finishing gave me a lot of trouble. I started with multiple coats of danish oil but it never seemed to finish sucking it into the end grain. I put on a ridiculous number of coats and always had dry patches. Eventually on recommendation from some LJs I switched to Minwax wipe-on poly. That was all done last year on these boxes, except for a touchup dab of poly on the fingerholes after I cut the holes on the gift pair over the Labor Day weekend. My oscillating spindle sander started acting up just after I started sanding the second box, so since I had started already I had to go ahead and finish and hope the thing wouldn’t blow up on me before I was done. Spoiler alert – it didn’t.