|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 09-02-2014 10:49 AM||781 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
[EDIT] I added two photos of the frame, now in use. One photo shows the frame better than the picture, the other shows the picture better than the frame.
While I did make a frame for my daughter’s Stampy and Squid mosaics, this is the first time I’ve just made a frame. A few years ago in school, my daughter created an interesting picture of our 3 birds incorporating some feathers from the birds themselves. (birds loose some of their feathers every few months. It’s a natural process called molting.)
So the picture sat protected in a room of our house because my wife wanted to ‘have it framed’. When that process started, sticker shock halted it. I then suggested that I build a frame and learn how to mat it.
I took one of my reclaimed drawer fronts and ran it through my planer and ripped it into 4 pieces. then I cut them to length while mitering them. A test fit showed that the miters were right on. (Thank you Steve Ramsey and your video about making a miter sled!)
I then ran them through the router table and put a Roman Ogee on one edge, then repeated the process with a straight bit to make the rabbet for the plexiglas, mat and artwork. This was the most frustrating process because I kept getting chip out. Seemed that no matter how little I raised the bit, it kept chipping out, visibly on the edge that would be visible when put together.
So I ended up with a nice deep rabbet and used some wood filler to fix it up. I figured that if need be, I would carefully paint that edge black since the frame was to be stained a dark color.
I finally got to successfully use that ‘octopus’ picture frame clamp that I made a few years ago. Every time I tried to use it previously it just wouldn’t work out and I’d switch to my band clamp. Getting the miters aligned was a bit tricky, not the miters themselves mind you, but the back and forth and up and down between the joints. All ended well though and the frame came out good.
I sanded it bu hand, using a pencil wrapped in sand paper to do the ogee. There was a little fudging necessary , but not much. I swear that next time I’d get better results by doing the Ogee after the frame is glued together. We’ll see.
I stained it with some Jacobean I’ve had forever and wiped it down. Now it awaits the supplies for me to install the artwork in it. When that happens, I promise I’ll post a picture with the artwork in it.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!