|Project by lumberjoe||posted 08-25-2014 06:04 PM||1834 views||6 times favorited||13 comments|
I needed a credenza for my home office, so I made one.
This is another one of my design experiments incorporating what I like from Mid century modern, and what appeals to me personally. I came extremely close to chickening out on the paint. I had the glue and clamps all ready to go and skip the paint, but I’m glad I took a chance.
Case/drawer fronts – solid Ash
Drawer boxes and sliding door – 1/2” BB plywood
Drawer pulls and feet – Walnut
Hot Hide Glue throughout
Duck Cloth (canvas) in drawer bottoms
1/4” Luan plywood for the back
Finish – Pore filled with Pumice and watco teak oil (2 applications). Teak oil – which contains no teak oil is basically danish oil with UV inhibitors. I don’t want either the ash or the walnut to color shift. – Custom wiping varnish (Pure Tung, BLO, Alkid resin, solvent) – 4 coats – 3 padding sessions with 2lb cut super blonde shellac – Spit polished waxed to retain gloss – The door was shellaced, sanded, primed, then sprayed with enamel.
Largely without power tools. I’ve found that without a plow or rabbet plane, I can’t accurately cut housing dadoes or rabbets. Since every board here (including the drawer fronts) have a dado, I broke down and used the table saw. Other than that, this is hand tool work.
I had a lot of fun with the drawer handles. They were cut from a single piece of walnut then inlaid.
Here are a few progress pictures
Rough stock (and this was rough!)
Lots of cross grain shavings
Finally clean and flat
Cleaning up an edge before shooting