|Project by harum||posted 08-25-2014 12:20 AM||1863 views||7 times favorited||6 comments|
Finished this chair just in time for Saturday night barbecue. I used the plans from Fine Woodworking magazine, No.192, August 2007. The wood came from a home center store; the redwood lumber prices are reasonable there. I believe there is a mistake in the plans: the armrest support blocks should be 5”, not 5-3/4”. Alternatively, the armrest width has to be reduced by 3/4”. Otherwise, the numbers don’t add up. This is the only modification though.
The chair is pretty comfortable, even more so when there is a pillow under your head and neck. Looks like after close inspection and testing by the family, I now have to make three more Adirondacks.
The last picture is the chair without seat and back slats.
UPDATE 6/1/2015: The chair turned out to be quite comfortable (even more do with a pillow or two), so I made two more. They are made of redwood too, except that one of them is 4-1/2” wider than specified in the plan, to accommodate the family member not fitting into the regular size chair. Photos below.
The penetrating oil (Messmer’s U.V. Plus) has been working so far: the first chair still keeps the color and appearance. Want to try TWP, which they say is better in terms of UV and mold protection.
-- "If you're not counting the ripples when throwing pebbles in the water, you're wasting your time."