|Project by Jake||posted 08-23-2014 11:11 PM||10509 views||4 times favorited||17 comments|
This is a workbench project that was based on Christopher Schwarz’s design for the Holtzapffel Workbench. I followed it loosely, making the following more major changes to it:
-Made the stretchers closer to the floor. They are about 3” away from the floor. In another of Schwarz’s designs, he mentioned that having the stretchers that close to the floor enables you to hook your foot under them when you’re planing. Sounded like a good idea.
-Added a shelf
-Made the end vise the width of the entire bench.
Wood species used:
-Reclaimed Douglas fir (top, legs, stretchers)
-Red maple for vise jaws (8/4, not reclaimed)
-Some kind of softwood for the shelf, probably douglas fir (reclaimed siding from an old house)
-Veritas Twin-Screw chain drive vise, 24” between screws
-Veritas Large front vise, used as an end vise
-Top: 7’ 3” long x 21” wide x 4” thick
-Floor to benchtop height: 34.5”
This is my first major project. I’m a novice woodworker, having done a few minor projects around my parents’ house without a proper workbench. This project was extremely challenging because I had to make this workbench without a workbench. I was also using reclaimed wood from the construction of my parents’ house. I used the 2×12 form boards that were used to form the concrete foundation. They were extremely knotty, twisty, and had concrete embedded into them. I tried to find the clearest sections, cut them out, used an aggressive jack plane to remove the concrete-embedded surface (the poor blade), and removed the twist with the jack and jointer planes. (We don’t have a thickness planer) For workholding, I would put the boards between two posts on the front porch, put some scraps on either end to wedge the board between the posts, and then used two wedge shaped scraps that I would hammer between the post and the scraps to hold the board tight. It became a lot easier after the top was laminated because I could just set it on some sawhorses and hold boards down with clamps/makeshift planing stops. You can imagine how glad I am to have a functional workbench now!