|Project by KE4NYV||posted 08-23-2014 09:10 PM||1736 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
I just completed my first segmented bowl turning project. I used black walnut and maple for the rings. Some are solid color, others are alternating to get a checked effect. Not all of my stock was the same thickness and since I don’t have a planer yet, this posed a bit of a challenge. I ended up putting each ring on the lathe and using my flat tipped carbide turning tool to flatten the faces of the rings and then finish them off with a sanding block.
Glue up was pretty straight forward. I just glued up a couple of rings at a time into sub-assemblies and then glued those together to get the complete pre-turned bowl.
I highlighted all of the steps in a video on my YouTube page. Please take a look and comments are welcome!
This project was a lot of fun and I learned a lot doing it for the first time. Lessons learned and I even came up with a few processes or variation on other’s processes that worked well for me and I’ll use on the next one(s).
-- Jason R.