|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 04-09-2007 04:01 PM||1948 views||3 times favorited||27 comments|
This project changed directions about..hmm… a dozen times – at least!
I found the plans to a project (I’d say “this” project but other than having drawers, there is nothing similar about it) and I thought that it would be great in the bathroom to hold makeup stuff and the such.
Being limited to the small pieces of willow that I have, the plans had to be changed to accommodate the size issues. I also, of course, wanted to keep those “live edges” and that also created a lot of “hmmm” moments.
This morning I went down to the shop to complete the project, with my final plans in my mind, only to find them changed, once again, due to the difficulty of joining the small pieces of wood, and to having an “aha” moment. The solution is what you see here. (Originally the drawers were side-by-side and this morning I thought “stack them”!)
I will soon have to actually go and purchase some wood that is long enough to allow me to be more creative. This patchwork process just isn’t working for me!
This afternoon (after mulling around the idea of putting a back on it) I made up my mind to use the wood I had even though it was just thin slabs that were left. The first two pieces that I picked up and held into place (backwards to what I thought I was going to use) resulted in the shape shown here.. and so the final adaptation took place with the tall pieces projecting above the shelves. You just never know what the wood will end up telling you—but you know, it could have just said this in the first place!!!
Joints: cut on the scrollsaw
Fingerholes: drill press (as shown in the original plans. I don’t like the look of these “modern” holes with the rustic piece.. but they are there.)
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)