|Project by kiefer||posted 08-17-2014 09:01 PM||4576 views||19 times favorited||25 comments|
Some time ago I posted this dividing head for my drill press and have been itching to use it .
Now I finally have a project that is in the development stage and this is coming handy .
I set out to make some sprockets and Baltic birch ply looked like the answer because of its strength .
Well here is how I made the sprockets which was a little bit of trial and error as there seems to be some confusion as to where the measurements are taken from as far as the diameters are concerned but after a couple of attempts I got it worked out and can now take two sprockets and attach them back to back and get a perfect match .
Hers is the process in pictures in the order of steps I made
The plywood blanck mounted and and the diameter set and double checked .
The first set of holes drilled by only using the right index lock .
The second set of holes drilled with the right index lock inactive and using the left index lock this allows to place a hole in dead centre between each previous hole for a total of forty in this case .
The waste is cut off with the bandsaw along the outside diameter of the hole circle leaving some extra to be removed in the next step.
The disc sander with a little jig that I previously posted does a nice job of cleaning up the top of the teeth and sanding it to the proper diameter .
Here the two halves are glued together and will need a little hand sanding to shape the teeth to a slight bevel on their sides and the measurements are within a fraction of a millimeter .
Now you wonder why I did all this having made gears using plywood and cog or timing belt wrapped around it.
The Reason being that that makes gears which will mesh to each other but not to a belt when engaged more the about three teeth ,there I need a sprocket with a different tooth geometry to mesh with the belt when a wrap of more cogs is required .
-- Kiefer / It's all about design and innovation