|Project by robscastle||posted 08-12-2014 11:27 PM||1328 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
This week I made a couple of Cheese boards.
The first was a finish fail but the process was well worth the effort.
The second was a repeat using a solid one piece board.
The timber is QLD Walnut a piece courtesy of LLWW.
Select the timber
Fill the voids with epoxy
cut to shape utilising the features
Profile the edge
I selected a piece of timber with a crack in the middle, ending where the chalk mark is.
Not being too sure just how bad it was I gave it a wack on the bench,...it split in half!
I was quite surprised! but not being detered I decided to joint it and add a center filler to return it to the width I wanted
I went to a reasonable amount of effort to recover it for use, cutting out the split area adding a Rosewood filler.
I even toyed with the idea of simply just glueing everything back together again, see photo
Did a glue up, profiled it and oiled it.
Pleased with the results I left it overnight to soak in.
Returning next day I found it had split, not in just one place but two.
One on the glue joint , a definate glue up failure there.
The other was on the end right through the feature of the timber at the end so there was nothing I could to do to repair it without deleting the feature.
So it went on the stack for later to make a decision as to what to do with it.
I was so disappointed I made the another one the next day.
-- Regards Robert