|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 08-11-2014 06:24 PM||1119 views||1 time favorited||24 comments|
This is a table my wife wanted for the new sun room. It is 36” diameter, 29” high and a 31” base circle.
I planned on 6 segments but it meant some pretty wide pieces. I did not want to laminate boards to get the width as that would be additional seams so I went with 1” Baltic Birch plywood supplied by my buddy , LJ Doug Scott. Thanks Doug!! The segments are doweled and pocket screwed and glued together. I used dowels instead of biscuits because I want them to come right together and not have any “slide” during the gluing process. The corners had to be right on.
The column is an octagon made from 3/4” maple plywood. I made it 8 sided so I could have a 4 legged base instead of 3 on a hexagon. The octagon apron is made from 1” Baltic Birch with gussets for reinforcements. I made it an octagon because originally the 4 column supports that fasten it to the top were going to be screwed into the apron as well but I did not see any advantage so I shortened them. I design on the fly as you can tell!! Sometimes I cannot visualize the product until I have full size pieces made
The legs and the column supports are made from solid maple. I had tapped 1/4-20 holes in the bottom of the legs for levelers but decided to go with rectangular Delrin (4th photo) so it could be easily slid around on the carpet. They also cannot turn when moving the table. I could have adjusted the leg height with the glides but it came out flat right out of the chute so no need for adjustment.
The last photo is in the white wood stage with the dovetail slots in the column to accept the legs . I did the legs on the router table and the column in the milling machine. My rabbet sled was modified to hold the legs vertical for dovetailing No photos of that. The top was finished in that shot and ready for stain.
The table is stained with Zar 120 ( Teak Natural) stain and finished with polyurethane. The top surface has 11 coats- 5 brushed on in the shop and 6 wiped on in the laundry room. The dust in the shop was giving me fits and took some heavy sanding between coats. I guess I should have shot it with lacquer. It would have been done 2 weeks earlier!!
Here are some process shots:
The wedges were too big to fit any of my saws and I contemplated making a great big sled but settled for using a straight edge with a protractor and a Skil saw and then ran them through the jointer
I used my doweling fixture and made a special end gauge to insure the location from the pointed corner.
I had to make a long extension for the fixture to put the 6 dowels in the halves!
The column was glued using crude but accurate methods
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!