|Project by ShawnSpencer||posted 08-10-2014 12:01 PM||864 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This is my take on the Stickley #135 plant stand. I modified the design with a rounded and dished top. Other than that it’s pretty much all Stickley. Mortise and tenon on the aprons and dowels in the half lap bottom stretchers. It is made of red oak.
I’m not really happy with the finish job. I used a 2lb cut of shellac to help with the streaky strong grain. Then, hit it GF walnut gel stain. I did more coats than I wanted of the gel to try and even out the color but, I just made it worse. After all the extra coats my stain mistakes started to add up and show through. I finally, finished it with arm r seal and some Johnson’s paste wax.
All in all I’m very happy with construction. My stain and finish skills need some work. This was a gift for the wife and she’s very happy with how it turned out. So, I can’t be too disappointed with myself. On to the next and hit the books on finishing.
-- I know you know...