|Project by ic3ss||posted 08-05-2014 09:27 PM||1249 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Well I’ve been busy on the lathe lately and I decided to take another crack at my lathe turned box. My last one seemed to turn out ok, but after it sat for a few weeks I picked it up and tried to open it and it was stuck on. When the lid came off it did so with a loud pop and wouldn’t go back on. I noticed the box was egg shaped, the wood moved on me. The walls were too thin to re-turn so it sits on my bench as a reminder of what not to do. Those lessons are: do not glue up cross-grained pieces to turn, and always rough turn first and let sit a while before finishing.
So I picked up a piece of Myrtle Wood and a piece of Yucatan Rosewood and as soon as I first cut into both of them I found they were very wet still. The Myrtle Wood looked like it just came off of the tree it was so wet. So I rough turned the outside and ran a 1.5 inch forstner bit through them and left them for about six weeks in the hot garage.
They did move and I left enough for it to be rounded again. I used a chunk of Maple Burl for the liner, under the lid and also put one on the bottom to cover the screw holes from the face plate. It measures just under 3” diameter. Finished with 5 very thin coats of high gloss poly.
Thanks for looking,
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."