|Project by bradadsit||posted 08-05-2014 09:15 PM||2805 views||28 times favorited||14 comments|
This table was based on the “The Not-So-Rustic Rustic Outdoor Table” plans by Marc Spagnolo (The Wood Whisperer). My wife had been wanting a farm style table. We were in the process of buying our first home and wanted to upgrade the dining furniture in the process. I had reviewed several designs online and Marc’s fit the bill perfectly.
I decided to use 8/4 African Mahogany (Khaya). Part of me wanted to finish it with a more natural/clear finish and let it patina dark over time. However, it was decided that I would try to match the finish of our kitchen cabinets using a dye stain.
I used Rockler’s Beadlock system for the joinery, and upgraded to the 1/2” size due to the thickness of the materials being used. Since I haven’t take the “plunge” to purchase a Domino, the Beadlock was a really excellent alternative. It expedited the joinery significantly and I will definitely be using it again.
For the stain I used a mix of General Finishes Dye Stain. It took some experimenting to match the cabinets, and the final mixture proved to be: 1 part yellow + 2 parts Dark Brown. After staining I applied 3-4 costs of General Finishes Enduro-Var using an HVLP sprayer. It is a durable finish that can stand up the daily abuse of my 3 year old twins, as well as very easy to spray.
My biggest challenge during this project was the breadboard ends. This is probably due to the slight imperfections on the end cut of the large glued-up table top. Again, I have not yet made the Festool investment to acquire a TrackSaw. I almost used this project as a justification for the purchase, but decided to hold off. I used a shop-made saw guide and hand-planed the end with a low-profile jack plane to get the best results I could. There is a small gap between the end of the panel and the breadboard end, but it is relatively minor and probably not noticeable by most non-woodworkers. I may someday decide to come back and clean it up by removing and re-attaching the end.
This project is by far my biggest woodworking undertaking and certainly pushed my skills and equipment to the limits, but the results are very satisfying.