|Project by Izzy68||posted 08-02-2014 07:26 PM||736 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
This is the second box I’ve made and I’ve had the same problems with both of them. While I like the design a lot, I had some trouble with the hinges. As a result, the lid is on a little cock-eyed. I’m sure I can fix it, but I haven’t had time yet. The woods went together very nicely, though. The knob was an afterthought. I was waiting for some Brusso knobs to come in the mail and I decided that I wanted to finish the box, anyway (I’m more than a little impatient). So I turned the knob, gilded the middle section, and attached it to the box with a single brass pin (3/16”) roughed up and epoxied into both. I finished the box with a low gloss oil/varnish and the knob with wax while still on the lathe.
The main problem I have is with the tops and bottoms. I don’t have my router table available right now and I’ve been making the rabbets on the table saw. Unfortunately, I end up sneaking up on what I need until I’ve finally gone too far. I need to spend a little more time in the planning phase of things and make sure I’m measuring and marking better. As with most projects, I just jumped into this one. I’ve got pretty severe ADD (no joke), so this is what I struggle with most (planning before cutting… measuring twice/cutting once). That’s why most of my projects have been on the lathe or scroll saw up until now! Instant gratification and very forgiving.
-- Jimmy, Los Angeles, Frustrated Artist Masquerading as a Money Manager/Financial Planner.