|Project by jfk4032||posted 08-01-2014 11:36 AM||1168 views||3 times favorited||9 comments|
When my wife finally decided to take up golf four years ago, I was excited about the opportunity to play together not only in the area, but when we take vacations. She’s hooked and actually plays more than I do now!
At the time she started playing I started to collect golf ball markers from the courses we played together and these plaques are what I came up with to display these. The plaques are made up of laminated resawed planks, the top one is black walnut with cherry in the middle and the bottom one is mahagony with black walnut in the middle. The black walnut plaque is for us and the mahagony plaque we’ll raffle off at next year’s Cancer Rally at our club.
I also tried router inlaying for the first time. The kits for this are inexpensive and the results for a simple oval were impressive for a novice at doing this. I also wanted to make a real golf ball part of this, so I created a jig to safely cut a golf ball in half. I mounted some scrap 2×4 pieces onto my lathe and scooped out a depression to snuggly fit roughly half of a golf into each side. There is a small supporting strip of wood that I sandwiched between the two ball holders held together with a screw. After a couple of old used balls as practice, I was able to safely and accurately slice a golf ball in half on the bandsaw. I sanded down some wood tees in half lengthwise and then cut those into two pieces for each of the cross-hatched tee pattern.
I then laid out the hole pattern to drill some stop depth holes for the rare earth magnets to be set into. I was careful to make sure they stood proud a bit so you could more easily remove individual markers from the plaque when wanting to. I used two part epoxy to glue in the magnets, the golf ball and tees and the scroll cuts of our monogram letters. I used holly and black walnut for the letters.
I finished the plaques with a coating of pure Tung oil and then a half dozen coats of Deft satin spray with steel wool rub downs on the last several coats. I strung some picture hanging wire with the appropriate hardware on the backside for easy hanging.
This was a fun quick project that wound up using most of the machines in my shop at some point of its production.
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!