|Project by kayakguy||posted 07-30-2014 09:55 PM||549 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
It’s finally done*
After constantly getting sidetracked on other woodworking projects, I finally finished the electric mandolin I have been working on for quite a while.
Since I had not done anything like this at all before, and I was not sure about how well I would do carving the neck, I decided to buy an electric mandolin kit as a starting point. But I was not happy with the look of the basswood body, the plastic pick guard, or the pickup that came with the kit.
So I made some modifications along the way. I covered the body with some walnut burl, and black binding. I fashioned a new pick guard out of maple, and found a perfect sized hum-bucking pickup to put in place of the stock pickup.
It is ‘Done-ish’ would be probably be more correct. I still need to do some tuneup (adjust the intonation, and the string height, etc). But it does play, and sounds pretty nice. Now the really hard part: learning how to play the dang thing.
-- Andy -- No animals were harmed in the posting of this entry, although the terrier next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you.