|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 07-21-2014 11:44 PM||1749 views||7 times favorited||33 comments|
This is my second Teleidoscope. I started with 3 pieces of 1 3/4X 10 mirrors taped together in a triangle.Then I selected this piece of red box elder for the tube and bored it to clear the mirrors. I machined the ends to hold the eyepiece and the crystal ball and then I fluted it. During the final turning and the fluting a lot of voids appeared… some that went all the way through to the bore. At that point I was going to throw it away and start over but I decided to fill the voids with black epoxy and keep going.Then I dropped the mirrors on the concrete floor and luckily there was only a chip on the back end and it did not show so I kept going.
The ends are jarrah and the eyepiece is solid brass. I am told that first surface mirrors look much better than back surface mirrors but the back surface ones are what I had so I used them. It is all glued together so they cannot be changed.
The ball is 1.948 Diameter and the opening in the eyepiece is .900”. It is 3 3/8” Diameter and 13 1/4” long.
The 4th shot is a typical pattern looking out into the back yard with all the grass The 5th shot is the boring to 2 1/8” and the last shot is the fluting setup with the plunge router. I did not add the ugly shot showing all the black epoxy areas. This did not turn out pretty but I wanted one to use in the new sun room. It works!
All the wood parts are 3 step buffed and waxed.
Here is the ugly shot! I just found out from Cricket how to put in photos without using photobucket
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!