|Project by WVWoodshed||posted 07-21-2014 05:47 PM||1124 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
Well life sometimes gets in the way. I had hoped to post more frequently, but as we’ve all experienced life has its own plans.
Anyway, here is a project I took on for my 14 year old daughter who has expressed an interest in guitars and ukuleles. She’s been playing for about a 1-1/2 or so and asked me to make her a small box to keep her pick collection in. I was originally thinking small rectangular or square format, but after a brief look around the web I found Steve Ramsey’s version over at Woodworking for Mere Mortals and decided that would be my chosen path.
I made an initial attempt using red oak. When I tried to cut off the top and bottom of the box I experienced the wicked wrath of trying to freehand cut under-supported curved pieces on the band saw. Let me just say if you haven’t experienced the popping explosion that is the work piece flying out of your hand, pinching your finger against the table and flying up and crashing into your face you are best directed not to head down that road. If you have to band saw curved or circular pieces make sure they are cradled or clamp securely in some well thought out fashion. While I experienced all the above near misses to catastrophe, I also recognized that my fingers were ignorantly to close to the blade and extremely vulnerable to the spinning fury that was the 1/2” 3-4tpi Woodslicer blade on my saw. I consider myself very fortunate not to have made contact and suffered a much worse experience than bruised pride.
The second attempt was also red oak. After securing the piece in a cradle with a clamp the cuts went through without issue. In reviewing this process a little deeper I think if I ever make more of these boxes I will cut the tops and bottoms form the stock while it is still square, then use double stick tape to re-secure everything back together and then cut the shapes from the blocks. Hindsight is a wonderful thing even if it does sprout from occasionally dire circumstances.
With the second prototype dry assembled and reasonably satisfactory it was time to go for it using curly maple and an oak dowle for the pivot. As you can see from the photos everything came out fairly well. There are mistakes and the finish could use improvement, but all in all I was pleased with the effort. My daughter thinks it is “AWESOME”, so in the end I have a satisfied and very special customer.
Special Thanks to Steve Ramsey over at Woodworking for Mere Mortals for the inspiration. I’ve actually made a total of three of these and each one gets a little better with practice.
-- Keep your mind on your fingers and your fingers on your hands...