LumberJocks

Cabinet Humidor from reclaimed cherry

  • Advertise with us
Project by Mikesawdust posted 07-21-2014 04:49 PM 714 views 5 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This commission was a nice project that just happened to coincide with me getting an abandoned project from the shop. A woman had ordered a large cherry cabinet and after it was mostly complete got tired of waiting and refused to go forward. This forced the shop to bite the cost on the wood and the cabinet decorated the shop for over two years before the boss got tired of looking at it and sold it to me.
The customer asked me to make a humidor that he had found on-line at a company in Malan Italy. I had to make a lot of guesses and changed some things, I’m very happy with the finished product.
The outer case of the cabinet and the table are cherry with a small amount of wenge’ for accents. The sides and back have 1/2” sheets of cork for insulation and aluminum tape moisture seal. The cabinet is lined in Spanish cedar. Each tray has strips of Spanish cedar for the cigars to rest on but the bodies and rails are cherry, they also have a glass strip on the front of each tray. I had the glass door of the cabinet custom engraved with the customers name (obliterated in the pictures) and filigree.
The cabinet and table meet and lock together. I left the center plywood on the table top proud of the edges by 1/8” and the underside of the cabinet is recessed the same. They also are edged exactly the same with opposing roman ogee edges. The top of the cabinet is the same as the table top but the plywood was left shallow and covered in Italian leather to bring it level.
The electronic humidor is installed in the upper area, that is only accessible with the door unlocked and opened. This shelf was cut a little over half way through vertically on one side then horizontally on the other to provide ventilation to the cabinet from the humidifier. I also used one area in the rear more heavily vented to install an extra fan for the humidifier. I had to design an extra support for the upper door, the hinges I used had way to much play and it wanted to sag even with a magnetic closure installed.
I found the overall project a challenge but very satisfying. Hope the customer is as happy as I am when he gets it.





2 comments so far

View 731's profile

731

35 posts in 299 days


#1 posted 07-21-2014 05:06 PM

now that is worthy of a favorite! awesome post/project

-- 731 - Just because it doesn't kill you, doesn't mean it didn't try to...

View david38's profile

david38

1070 posts in 1000 days


#2 posted 07-22-2014 07:46 PM

nice job

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase