|Project by Tootles||posted 07-14-2014 02:40 AM||1179 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
This is not a fancy box, but it does have quite a story.
It all started with a piece of plywood that I was given. I noticed that it was about double the size of the cardboard box that my jig saw came in, so if I cut it in half it would make a good base and lid for a new wooden box for that. Plus I had some 90×19 mm pine that was about the same depth as the cardboard box. I did check that 90 mm plus twice the thickness of the plywood was just perfect for my shelves. It did mean that I needed to just glue the plywood onto the frame of the box such that the edges of the plywood are visible, but I don’t mind the look of that – plus it is a workshop box made from nothing more fancy than plywood and pine, so functionality outweighs fancy. But there was my first oops! I made sure that the depth of the box was fine but sized it such that the length and width were the same as the original, forgetting that the pine sides are about six times thicker than corregated cardboard. The end result is that the jigsaw does not fit!
I made the corner joints on my table saw using my box joint jig. I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the results, but that was more operator problems than tool problems I think. You don’t have to look too hard to see gaps that have been filled with either the dark brown of Titebond III or wood filler. One thing that I did do that worked well is that I deliberately made one of the fingers wider than the others so that they would look even when the cut was made to separate the lid from the base.
I decided not to add a handle to the lid, but rather to router a rebate similar to what I did in a previous box. So I set up my router table with a cove bit and two stops, grabbed the lid and went ahead. Oops! Previously I routered the base, not the lid. So with a bit of fiddling to make sure the two stops were precisely the same distance apart, I routered the rebate into the base as well. It looks okay, but really it was too much effort to make a habit of doing things this way.
As you can see, I simply used piano hinge, plus I added a chain. All corners are rounded over. The finish is satin finish spray lacquer – and the photos show one or two little spots where I messed up a bit.
So now I have a workshop box, with no idea yet of what I’m actually going to use it for. That’s okay – I’ll work it out eventually.
-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking