|Project by iamcliff||posted 07-12-2014 02:50 PM||1197 views||9 times favorited||5 comments|
A few years before I really started woodworking I built this planter with some scrap construction site wood and some scrap deck planks from an abandoned house. I build it with only hammer and nails. Needless to say, it is falling apart.
I just build a privacy fence for our backyard and had a few pickets and 2×4’s leftover so I decided to make a new one with that wood since it is treated and would be better for outside.
I decided to try to mimic some Greene & Greene finger joints for the top part. I used bridle joints for the bottom and made them to be slightly proud as well. I was going to try to stain some wood ebony color and make some plugs, but decided against it. Maybe in the next version. I stained the base ebony since I wasn’t going to have any ebony plugs and I wanted to incorporate the ebony color somehow. The top is finished with medium walnut colored danish oil. I finished the whole thing with a couple of coats of wipe-on poly.
The only problem I had that I would change next time is to plane the pickets down so that they are all uniform in thickness. Some of them are 5/8”, some a tad more, and some a tad less, so it was a little difficult lining everything up. Not everything matched up just right.