|Project by Hartworks||posted 07-07-2014 07:01 AM||1893 views||5 times favorited||23 comments|
Not wanting to pay the price of substandard cabinetry at the box stores and wanting a custom look I took on the challenge of remodeling the kitchen. I did farm out the granite counter and flooring because I did not have the knowledge to tackle those tasks (nor the tools for the granite).
I constructed the cabinet carcasses out of 3/4 birch ply, the shelves in the uppers of the same. The face frame, drawer fronts and doors are all solid cherry. I KNOW….why get cherry if your just gonna color it that dark, well it came down to getting an extremely good deal on the material that made it cheaper than buying poplar and my wife wanted it dark. So…that being said…what wife wants…wife gets (as long as I keep getting my tools).
This was the first time I tackled a project of this magnitude. The door frames are mitered, with a combination of cuts to create what I think is a pretty cool custom look. I wish I had the ability to just pass it through the router once and be done, but I used 3 different bits to make the cuts on the frames and drawer fronts. The raised panels are also solid cherry, and I have to say gluing up separate pieces to get to the proper width was not my favorite part. 18 doors challenged my patience. That and getting my miters dialed in to perfect was at times very trying. In the end I invested in an Incra sled to cut my miters and it was well worth it. Initially I had built a sled and it worked for a period of time but it did not hold up to the use it was getting and did not maintain perfect 45°. I used size 10 biscuits to hold together my mitered corners and thus far they are holding up quite well.
I built the drawer boxes and lower cabinet slide outs from 1/2” baltic birch and used Blum soft close slides and hinges.
For the finish I used General Finishes Dye Stain, a blend of Black, Brown and Merlot and topped it with 3 coats of GF Enduro Var.
All in all I am very happy with this as my first shot at a kitchen. I did some serious practicing on doors and got down my process before starting to tear apart my kitchen. Took me about 6 weeks to complete.
-- Gary, California