|Project by Vodo||posted 07-06-2014 04:47 AM||1894 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
After making several projects for other people as gifts, I decided to do my first “bigger” project for myself. I had purchased some zebrawood a couple years ago when I first started this hobby, and I had been saving it until I knew I was competent enough to put it to good use. This is my 5th “project” if you don’t count any shop furniture.
I also had purchased some nice walnut at the time, not knowing what it would be good for. I think the 2 compliment each other very well.
I used techniques I have learned by watching David Marks and the Woodworks series, as well as from TWW. 2 of the jigs I used were from WWFMM. (I can use these acronyms around here and people know what I’m talking about.)
The drawers are push-to-open from Salice Futura. I tried Blum first, but all 3 slides I ordered were broken by the time they shipped to me, so I decided to try someone else. This was the first project that I tried using drawer slides. This was also the first time doing splines, miter cutting the “frame” for the top, and using pore filler. I used Timbermate pore filler for the walnut and zebrawood. The top was 3 coats of tung oil and 6 coats of shellac. The plywood parts were stained with minwax dark walnut stain. The walnut was pore filled, tung oil and then wipe-on poly.
Overall, I’m very happy with the results. Comments welcome. Thank you guys!
-- AKA vodo. I belong in a blue state.