LumberJocks

Cupboard

  • Advertise with us
Project by Bram Couttouw posted 07-05-2014 11:49 AM 1096 views 8 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This project was made during my last year in high school. It’s made of 90% solid european oak, the remaining 10% is sheetgood.
For the big horizontal surfaces like top and bottoms and shelves I used veneered MDF, edge banded with 2mm solid oak.
All the mouldings were made with a shaper, including the raised panels.
The door frames and the cupboard frame itself were all joined with dowels because there wasn’t enough time this year to use classic mortise and tenon joinery. Same for the drawer construction, I had to use box joint instead of dovetails due to lack of time.
The box joints were made on my combination machine at home with a shaper and a sliding table.





15 comments so far

View Sawdust2012's profile

Sawdust2012

73 posts in 465 days


#1 posted 07-05-2014 11:56 AM

congratulations! That is truly impressive.

View cnarf's profile

cnarf

44 posts in 790 days


#2 posted 07-05-2014 01:39 PM

Beautifully made!

-- cnarf, Ireland

View david38's profile

david38

1173 posts in 1096 days


#3 posted 07-05-2014 01:44 PM

nice job

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

16043 posts in 1619 days


#4 posted 07-05-2014 01:46 PM

This looks very nice.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View sras's profile

sras

3946 posts in 1882 days


#5 posted 07-05-2014 02:16 PM

That is an impressive accomplishment – the result should be around for generations.

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

View freddy1962's profile

freddy1962

909 posts in 301 days


#6 posted 07-05-2014 05:10 PM

Awesome work!

-- JEFF Illinois (Banks of the Mississippi)

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

1923 posts in 943 days


#7 posted 07-05-2014 05:32 PM

Very nice work, great details and tight joints. Impressive.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Northwest29's profile

Northwest29

898 posts in 1243 days


#8 posted 07-05-2014 07:02 PM

A very well executed project – great craftsmanship!

-- Ron, Eugene, OR, "Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."

View gsimon's profile

gsimon

541 posts in 866 days


#9 posted 07-05-2014 08:59 PM

congratulations very well done
love the drawer element and the craftsmanship

-- Greg Simon

View hoss12992's profile

hoss12992

2961 posts in 645 days


#10 posted 07-06-2014 02:35 AM

Great job. Very well done

-- The Old Rednek Workshop https://www.facebook.com/theoldrednekworkshoptn

View jeff's profile

jeff

695 posts in 2217 days


#11 posted 07-06-2014 03:40 AM

Nice details throughout.Congrats.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

1100 posts in 177 days


#12 posted 07-06-2014 04:14 AM

I really like it. Very nice work.

Thanks for taking the time to post some photos.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Tooch's profile

Tooch

700 posts in 629 days


#13 posted 07-06-2014 11:59 AM

really nice work. the miters are really tight and the joints on the drawers look great too!

How big is this thing!?

-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails

View Bram Couttouw's profile

Bram Couttouw

42 posts in 1069 days


#14 posted 07-06-2014 12:06 PM

it’s 2.14m high and 2.07m wide.
thanks for the nice comments

View Wood Studios's profile

Wood Studios

89 posts in 1084 days


#15 posted 07-06-2014 11:13 PM

If I understand your notes and you completed this in your last year in high school, you are well on your way to becoming a highly skilled craftsman and designer. As others have noted, your joints are nice and tight and a well executed project from design to finish. Keep up the good work and we will be looking at fabulous projects in a few years from you.

-- I cut it three times and it's still too short!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase