|Project by niagrab||posted 07-04-2014 12:25 AM||1559 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Yesterday I was told that we would be playing croquet at our 4th of July family get together, so I decided to build a mallet. I had some walnut and maple scraps to work with, so the handle and mallet is made of walnut, while the mallet faces and through-dowel are of maple. I also put a steel bar inside the mallet on one side, which brought the mallet head weight to 3.5 lbs. It’s not the most complicated project, and I threw it together this morning before work. However, I like it and think that it turned out pretty well.
I ended up making two of these that same day since my wife asked for one after I built the first one. Her’s is from cherry with walnut mallet faces. I wanted to do a walnut dowel for the contrasting color, but didn’t have time to make one..so I just burned the ends of the maple dowel with a sander. Worked out okay I guess.