|Project by Pezking7p||posted 07-01-2014 11:09 PM||2248 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
This is my submital for the 2014 mallet swap. The internet told me that osage orange is good for mallets so of course I had to use it. The handle is made from figured maple. The mallet is very heavy and best used for heavy chopping or “persuasion.”
Other than the initial milling and sizing, this mallet was made entirely with hand tools. The head was shaped with hand planes, including the chamfers. The handle was shaped with a spoke shave and attached to the head with a simple mortise and tenon.
The head was not completely dry when I started working and it split pretty badly in some areas. I smashed a chisel for a while to make sure the cracks wouldn’t tear the mallet apart, then began filling the cracks with epoxy. I used a shop vac to suck epoxy deep into the cracks and ensure they are completely filled.
The handle is stained with trans tint dark brown or something like that, then sanded back to expose the figure. The chamfers on the handle were left stained for visual contrast. A few coats of clear shellac finished the handle off. The head was finished simply with BLO and wax.
Thank you for looking!