|Project by 7Footer||posted 07-01-2014 10:09 PM||636 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
My turned mallet for the swap – made of oak, purpleheart and cherry. I carve out an oval shape of the middle piece of cherry and filled it with lead bb’s (slinky maker for fishing), you can hear the bb’s when you swing the mallet.
I actually did a test mallet because I wasn’t sure how well this would work after putting BB’s inside before laminating and then putting it on the lathe, on the test mallet there wasn’t very much space on the inside, and I didn’t mark the end that the bb’s were in before gluing it, so I basically had to guess which end, and I got lucky and guessed right…
It’s about 11” x 3 2/4”—- and weighed in at 42 ounces.
The finish is many coats of the Shampeon special, a mix of BLO, shellac and MS. Also a few coats of paste wax on there.
Pic 1 – Finished product
Pic 2 – lead bb’s about to be glued in
Pic 3 – Laminating that ish with some PL glue
Pic 4 – The head, a magnet, John2005’s initials and a bike because he’s an avid cyclist
Pic 5 – An Oregon quarter inlaid into the end of the handle
Pic 6 – A stand for it with another magnet to hold it in place
This was my practice mallet, I like the 2nd one much better!
-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -