|Project by BigDumbAnimal||posted 06-27-2014 04:13 AM||885 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I’m in the process of moving from Virginia to a new duty station in southern California. I had to sit back and watch as a bunch of movers boxed and tossed my shop in the back of a moving truck not to be seen again for approximately two months or as long as it takes for housing to become available to us. Right after the pack out we went up to Pennsylvania to visit my parents. I had to sell my Shopsmith before the move to ensure that we met the maximum weight allowed for the move and the realization hit me that even when things get unpacked I would be without a lathe until I was able to buy a replacement. My dad also has a Shopsmith and I decided to take the opportunity to do a little bit of turning before what will prove to be a long dry spell.
I got everything all set up and then set out to find something to turn. He has some rough cut stuff but it was all pretty thin. There were some pen kits in a box but that didn’t much suit me either so I took a walk over to the fire wood pile and on a whim grabbed a piece of oak branch about 4 inches in diameter with the bark still on it and some fungus growing out one side. I cut off a chunk, eyeballed center, drilled a hole, and chucked it up between centers to try my hand at turning a weed pot. It was a little punky but I think it turned out pretty nice.
Well that was about 20 min worth of effort but didn’t quite scratch the itch so I went back to the firewood pile and grabbed another piece of branch, this time cherry and repeated the process. Now I was just having fun so I gave the tools a quick sharpening and went back out to the pile. This time I grabbed a piece of split oak and turned two more.
All of them are sanded to 600 and finished with pure unprocessed beeswax (my dad’s an amateur beekeeper). Now that I know what’s in the pile I’m going to cringe a little every time I toss one on the fire.
-- Semper Fi BDA