|Project by Brad_Nailor||posted 06-26-2014 10:51 PM||1097 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
A friend of mine recently renovated his basement and turned it into a podcast studio. It actually was a podcast studio before he renovated but it looked more like a ‘60’s nightmare, with yard sale furniture. Once the renovation was complete and he purchased new furniture he was showing me a device made out of metal plate to mount his microphone boom arms to that in turn mounted in the center of the table. It was expensive and ugly..so after some head scratching I came up with this design instead..
I would make it out of maple..frame and panel construction. I was going to lag screw it into the tabletop.
here are some other quick renders of the idea..to try and work out the details..
So, I had a plan. I stumbled upon the ideal piece of lumber at…Home Depot! I routinely rummage through the maple bin every time I go there looking for curly boards…of which I have found several. This board was screaming, “take me home”
Most of the parts cut and ready for shaping..
Gluing up the top and base blanks
Routing the panel grooves..
Panels glued up..
Cutting the miter edges on the panels after squaring them up a tiny bit with my table saw sled..
I did the standard packing tape roll up..I love it it works great and if your edges are straight you get perfect miters..
I used the drop pieces from the miter cuts to use as corner reinforcement..just settled the pieces into the squeeze out…
I cut the maple to size for the top and base..but I decided to add some walnut for accent. I had this base molding I ripped off some scrap pieces I bought from my hardwood dealer..and being the tight ass I am kept them thinking I would use them on another project. Well, they were perfect for this base..and the top I just used some walnut strips..
The top and base. At this point in the fabrication, I decided based upon some advice from another woodworker friend, to change my mounting plans from lag screws in the base, to a central threaded rod bolting the entire structure to the tabletop from the top down. I liked the idea, and took it a step further and did 4 pieces of rod..one in each corner. That would keep it from moving, torquing, flexing..and hopefully breaking. You can see the 4 outside holes for the rods, as well as the holes for the mounting of the boom arms, and the chiseled openings are for the XLR panel connectors.
The booms mount with a screwed in metal standoff. I found some sleeves that fit the O.D of the standoffs and bored holes in the top for that size. Here are the sleeves being epoxied into place..
Once everything was sanded to 300, I assembled the body to the base, first with glue and clamps, then once the glue was dry i countersunk 3” screws from the bottom…
Here it is between coats 4 and 5 of Behlen rattle can satin pre cat lacquer. I took this right before I rubbed it down with a 000 scotch brite pad between coats. I started with a coat of Arm R Seal Seal A Cell…
Waiting to be installed. The holes are drilled in the tabletop, and the XLR jacks are mounted and waiting
to be wired..
All wired up…
The bottom showing the nuts and washers. He will add cable management later after everything is routed and connected..
Here is the finished piece in its final resting place, with the boom arms and mics mounted and connected…
All in all, it came out nice and was a fun project. The customer loves it, and it worked exactly as I had designed it…I was worried when it all came together that I might have clashes between the arms and the connectors..but no. Everything worked out the way I wanted it to. Hindsight observations…I am buying dedicated door sets for my router table. It was a pain using basic straight bits to do the frame and panel stuff.