|Project by Babieca||posted 06-26-2014 12:37 AM||1015 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Building this box (and it’s too-small twin) was a great learning experience and will no doubt lead to even better boxes in the future.
I resawed a 4/4 board and was planning to do one with miters and one with dovetails, but I measured poorly and made the first too small. For the second, I cut the miters using a chamfer bit on the router table, which allowed me to wrap the grain, but the miters weren’t as even as the ones that came off the table saw. Better setup will probably help, but a shooting board might be the fix in the long run.
The finish is three coats of wipe on poly. I tried BLO on the bad box, but I didn’t like the way it made the maple splines disappear. I hope that as the cherry darkens the splines pop even more.
My wife is pretty pleased with it, so I will probably do a couple more for other rooms.