|Project by llwynog||posted 06-25-2014 07:53 PM||1596 views||5 times favorited||8 comments|
This is a long overdue project.
Two years ago I decided to try and make Roy Underhill’s Mystery/Impossible mallet.
I cut and planed the parts to size but before I attempted the joinery operations and possibly waste good walnut and maple, I decided to first try my hand on a mockup made of pine and oak (which I owned in larger quantities).
The mockup turned out OK (and appeared in this project) and the two parts came together according to the instructions.
Once I validated that I was indeed able to carry out the joinery successfully… I never got around to making the actual mallet I intended.
I guess this is why I usually do not make mockups…
Recently, I finally got fed up with seeing these two parts waiting for their joinery and I brought myself to finishing this project.
Roy’s mallet is a very enjoyable project to carry out with hand tools and the joinery is actually much simpler than it may appear at first sight. It is also one case for which it is much quicker to cut the joinery by hand than to figure out some way to cut it with a machine.
Until next time,
-- Fabrice - "On est bien bête mais on sent bien quand on se fait mal" - my grandfather