|Project by LueyD||posted 06-23-2014 05:23 PM||1155 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
Well here is my first project… The first picture shows the completed shelving unit. The second is the original color of the wood which I fell in love with, however the fourth is what the color ended up being due to the Danish Oil. The third picture is my “dry” fit to see how it would come out in that space. All in all I am surprised how well it worked out. I didn’t have any plans to follow just went out into the garage and looked at our spare lumber and went for it. I made it more sturdy then it probably needed to be – but I have what I lovingly call my 4 goons. They all are over 6’ tall and they are rough to say the least. My wood is maple and the processes I used was biscuit joining, Kreg jig, and gluing. Lots of gluing, again because of my family I needed something that would stand up over time and not fall over or decay. I ended up doing 9 coats on top with the Danish Oil and buffed in between coats and 7 coats on the bottom again buffing in between coats. The pipes I actually tried using Home Depot pipes and they were pretty useless. I have a metal fabricator in our small town, and took all my pieces into them explained I needed it to be a certain height (due to constraints of the ceiling but also I wanted main shelf to be 36” so it was even with the counter top). They assembled it roughly in the shop to make sure they understood what I wanted. I left it all there and they called 3 days later and POOF I had my unit. Of course assembly wasn’t all that easy but I finally achieved what I was envisioning. Thank you for looking.