|Project by Sam12||posted 06-23-2014 04:34 AM||1130 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
Hello Fellow Lumberjocks!
These are pictures of a dragon planter. It is made from 3/4” MDO plywood and painted with Glidden exterior paint. The head and tail of the planter are made by stacking three layers of 3/4” plywood together. Two of the layers are the same and serve as the outer layers while the third piece is cut different from the first two to create the ‘scales/spines’ on the dragon’s back. This was the most complicated portion of the build (and ultimately the painting) by far. It required a lot of careful cutting and sanding in order to get it to the stage where it looked like it was made from one piece. At the time that I made this project I used a 16” Delta scroll saw and was only able to cut one piece at a time. I have since upgraded to a 21” Excalibur which eats plywood for a light snack and has no problem cutting two layers at a time. I am tempted to try this project again just to see how much easier it would be with my new saw. Although, I don’t know that I want to paint another one of these…
The planter has two 8” holes to hold pots. It is designed for special pots but I found that 1 gallon ice cream buckets work perfectly. I like this size pot because it allows me to grow a pretty good amount of plants in it while still allowing the planter to be a size that is portable so it can be stored away during harsh Michigan winters.
Thanks for checking out my project!